I remember from my childhood years, my parents telling me to eat my carrots because Vitamin A was good for your eyesight. And it is true, however now we know that it is also indispensable for your skin and your overall health.
Vitamin A is important for the maintenance of the immune system. It also promotes good vision, and acts as a growth-like factor in the development the cells. Vitamin A helps repair damaged DNA promoting the division of new and healthy cells.
What this means for our skin?
With age and sun exposure the collagen fibres in our skin breaks down. Because of this, our skin looses its elasticity forming wrinkles and sagging skin.
When the cell divides it creates two identical copies of the original cell. If the original cell is damaged it will create two new damaged cells. Vitamin A repairs the damaged DNA in our skin cells thus promoting the production of new healthy collagen.
- Thickens the skin
- Increases the moisture in the skin
- Helps in the skin healing process
- Improves circulation and oxygenation of the skin
- Absorbs UV rays protecting from sun damage
- Repairs UV damage
- Prevents the destruction of collagen
- It is a powerful antioxidant protecting from free radicals
It is important to eat foods rich in Vitamin A as well as to use Vitamin A skin care products.
Vitamin A can be found in: fish, chicken, eggs, dairy products, carrots, broccoli, spinach, pumpkin, apricots, and many green leafy vegetables.
Every time we are exposed to the sun our vitamin A levels are depleted. It takes 7 days to replenish them through diet, however it takes only 3 ours with a vitamin A moisturiser.
Why should I use a Pre-cleansing Oil?
I already use a cleansing lotion, do I really need to pre-cleanse? That’s what many of my clients ask.
Pre-cleansing oils can penetrate deep into the pores removing dirt, oil (oil attracts oil) and make up. Pre-cleansers remove any impurities without stripping the acid mantle of the skin and allowing your cleanser to go deeper into the skin and do a better job.
It is a necessary step for people that use daily sunscreen and make-up. Pre-cleansers also help diminish breakouts on people with oily skin.
Why should I use a Toner?
- Toners help to reduce pores reducing the amount of impurities that get into the skin.
- Toners also balance the PH of the skin and
- neutralise the chlorine from the water.
- Toners facilitate the absorption of moisturisers and serums binding moisture to the skin.