Laser hair removal as well as IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) are light based therapies used to reduce hair permanently.
The light beam is set at a frequency in which it will be attracted to the colour present in the hair. When the light touches the hair it gets converted into heat energy and it travels through the hair shaft destroying the follicle.
Because laser hair removal is only effective during the growth phase of the hair only 10% to 30% can be treated at any one time. You will need between 6 and 10 treatments to permanently reduce the hair.
IPL hair removal is different from Laser in that it uses a spectrum of multiple wavelengths of light energy to destroy hair follicles and permanently reduce unwanted facial and body hair without affecting the surrounding skin.
Treatments are fast and tend to be almost painless. Because it uses a large hand-piece it can treat large areas of the body more quickly. The integrated cooling system diminish the sensation which is often referred to as a gentle ‘snap’ or pricking.
We use eLight™, state-of-the-art machines, with proven safety and efficacy for a wider range of skin tones and hair colours. The eLight features proprietary ELOS technology that combine the energy of bi-polar radio frequency (RF) with light energy.
Benefits of Elos IPL / Laser Hair Removal
- Reduces hair growth permanently
- Quick and practically pain free
- Helps clear up ingrown hairs
- Safe: targets the hair follicle and doesn’t affect surrounding skin
- After a course of 6-10 treatments you can enjoy a care free lifestyle without worrying about unwanted hairs any longer.
How does Elos IPL / Laser hair removal work?
A cool, clear gel, is applied to the skin to help guide the light and protect the surface of the skin. Our machines have advanced cooling technology to keep your skin cool.
A flash of light will project from the handpiece followed by the radio frequency waves. Laser protective eyewear is used during the treatment. The short pulses of light will penetrate the skin and create heat to destroy the follicle.
In most cases you will only feel a small discomfort, however in certain areas, where the skin is close to the bone a tiny zap or flick may be felt.
Please note that the intensity of the the light can be changed to decrease the sensation, however in that case the treatment may not be as effective, resulting in a temporary hair reduction instead of a permanent one. Places that offer 100% pain free IPL hair removal use very low energy settings with the resultant poor outcomes.
Depending on the surface area to be treated the procedure may last just a few minutes or up to one hour.
After the treatment, a soothing gel containing aloe vera is applied.
Some hairs may fall right away, others will take 7-10 days during which time they may appear to be still growing, but they are just being expelled out by your skin. 4-5 days after the treatment you may use an exfoliator to help shed the hairs.
Where can Elos IPL / Laser Hair Removal be used?
All areas of the face and body can be treated with Elos laser hair removal. It is fantastic for both men and women.
All skin types and hair colours (except white) can be treated using our Elos machines. The lighter the skin colour and the darker the hair colour, the more permanent the hair follicle destruction. This is because the beam of light targets the melanin pigment deep down in the base of the hair follicle.
Our machines combine light energy with radio frequency which allows for better results in darker skin types and lighter hair colour.
There are three phases of hair growth: anagen, telagen and catagen.
Anagen: This is the active phase of the hair growth cycle. During this phase the hair is attached to the papilla at maximum depth and large amounts of melanin (the pigment that gives colour to the skin and hair in our bodies) are produced. The length of this phase varies from 1 month to 6 years depending on age, sex, season, hormones, anatomical area and genetic predisposition. It is in this stage that Laser and IPL are most effective to permanently destroy the hair follicle.
Catagen: During this phase part of the follicle degenerates and the hair becomes loosened from the papilla. Chemical and structural changes take place and melanin production stops. During this stage treatment is not very effective.
Telogen: This is the resting phase. The hair growth ceases and the hair will eventually be pushed out of the skin. The percentage of hairs in this stage varies according to the region of the body. On the scalp only 5-15% of hairs are in the telogen phase at one time compared to 62-88% of the follicles of the legs. During this phase IPL or Laser treatment has no effect at all on the follicle.
In summary, the best results are achieved during the Anagen stage. Unfortunately most areas of the body with problem hair only have between 10 to 30% of hairs in the Anagen stage at the one time. This is why multiple treatments are required.
The number of sessions required will depend on your skin and hair colour and how your body responds to the treatments. It is recommended you undertake a minimum of 6 to 10 treatments. Treatments should be spaced between 4-8 weeks apart for maximum effectiveness. In some cases you may need a yearly maintenance treatment.
Is the Hair Removal Permanent?
The majority of the unwanted hair will be destroyed and never re-grow. However, a small percentage of the finer lighter hairs will only be reduced. Our machines offer the most advanced and permanent reduction of hair growth off all the treatments currently on the market. It is great at permanently destroying most of the targeted hair follicles.
Most people will get effective hair reduction with each treatment, with very little regrowth after the course of 6-10 sessions.
You can expect between 70% and 95% hair reduction and the hair that remains is usually very fine and light, like vellum hair.
We have many dormant cells in our body and with hormonal changes, and other factors, these may activate in the future and produce new hair growth, which may require occasional maintenance.
Certain conditions such as Cushing disease, Hyperplasia, Polycystic Ovary disease, tumors, Hirsutism and disorders such as dermatomyositis, hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism, cause abnormal hair growth. If your health is being affected by one of these conditions the treatments may not have a permanent effect and you may need regular maintenance treatments depending on the individual circumstances.
External factors such as a body building program including the consumption of anabolic steroids may also cause excessive hair growth and affect the effectiveness of the treatments.
Possible side effects of Elos IPL / Laser Hair Removal
It is normal to experience some temporary redness of the skin and some very mild swelling soon after each treatment. These symptoms should disappear in a couple of days.
Exposure to the sun must be avoided before and after treatment.
Most people will tolerate Elos treatment with minimal discomfort, but on sensitive areas an ice pack or cooling cream can be applied. You can immediately return to normal activities.
How to prepare for your treatments
- Do NOT expose the treatment area to the sun or solarium 4-6 weeks prior to treatment. Use sunscreen with SPF30+ at all times, even on cloudy days. If the skin has been exposed to the sun hypopigmentation or hyperpigmentation may occur.
- Do not use spray tanning or tanning lotions at least 2 weeks prior to treatment. All traces of tan should have disappeared by treatment day.
- Any method of hair removal except shaving should be stopped at least 1 month before treatment. Shaving can also be used between treatments.
- The area should be shaved 1-2 days before treatment.
- Do not use prescription Retin-A for 2 weeks prior to treatment.
- Do not use Roaccutane for at least 6 months prior to treatment.
- Do not expose the treated area to the sun for at least 4 weeks after treatment. You can use self tanning lotions or spray tan but it must be discontinued 2 weeks before your next treatment.
- Apply soothing gel as recommended twice a day for 3-4 days after treatment if needed
- You can apply mineral make up right away, for other make up you should wait 1-2 days
- Wait 2-3 days before using any perfumed lotions or creams, exfoliants, loofah sponges, retin A products.
- Hot water should be avoided for 24 hours, use tepid water
- Do no pick or scratch the area
- Wait 3 days or after the skin has settled and then gently exfoliate the treated area. Do not wax or pluck the hair. You can also shave during this period.
- Avoid activities where you are likely to perspire heavily for at least 24 hours.
Elos IPL / Laser Hair Removal Contraindications
- Heart and blood pressure conditions
- Bleeding disorders or on anticoagulants
- Tanned skin
- Taking photosensitising medicines
- Active cold sores on treatment area
- Surgery within last 2-3 months
- History of Keloid scarring
- On prescription Retin-A
- Immune Deficiency Disorders
|Sides of Face||$45||$55|
|Men’s Beard inc. Neck||$105|
|Neck Front or Back||$45||$58|
|Lower Half Legs||$120||$150|
|Upper Half Legs||$160||$190|
|Back & Shoulders||$130||$158|
|Chest & Abdomen||$100||$137|
|Feet & Toes||$40||$50|
Why choose us?
We offer a safe and effective treatment. Our machines employ the latest technologies and our staff are highly trained and experienced.
We are located in Melbourne’s South East, in an easily accessible area with plenty of free-all-day parking. We are easy to reach via Springvale Road, High Street, Burwood Highway and Monash Freeway and only one step away from Forest Hill, Mt. Waverley, Vermont, Mulgrave, Wheelers Hill, Wantirna South, Rowville, Burwood, Clayton and Blackburn.
Call us today for a FREE initial consultation. IPL permanent hair removal was one of the best decisions I made in my life, make it yours! Phone us on 03 9802 4081