Our Elos Technology combines IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) and Radio Frequency for the successful treatment of Acne and Acne Scarring.
The acne treatments are fast, with no downtime and they are almost painless. Elos IPL is an alternative to the use and side effects of oral acne treatments such as strong antibiotics, hormone therapies and contraceptives.
Elos IPL acne treatments work by opening the pores and destroying the acne bacteria: P. Acnes. It also treats the inflammation caused by the infection.
What is Acne?
Acne is a chronic inflammatory disorder which affects up to 80% of the population at some time in their lives. It usually begins during adolescence and it is triggered by hormonal changes.
Acne is characterised by blackheads (comedones), whiteheads, papules (red pimples), pustules (infected pimples) and cysts (deep chronic infection).
Acne occurs mainly in the face, chest and upper back where there is a larger concentration of sebaceous glands.
The sebaceous glands get over stimulated by the hormones and produce large amounts of sebum that accumulates in the follicle. Dead skin cells obstruct the opening of the pore and the follicle becomes a breeding ground for bacteria. P. Acnes is a beneficial bacteria that eats sebum and lives in everybody’s skin, however when the follicle is blocked it multiplies very quickly causing inflammation.
How does IPL Acne Treatments work?
To start the treatment, the therapist will provide you with protective eyewear. She then will proceed to apply a cool gel on your skin, this gel will help the machine’s crystal to make full contact with your skin.
The machine has a hand held device (treatment head) in which a crystal or filter is placed. This crystal is designed to emit a predefined wavelength of light that will target your particular condition. For acne treatments the wavelength used is 420nm.
The therapist will also adjust the energy settings in accordance with your skin type. The treatment head will be positioned in a way that the crystal makes contact with your skin. The therapist will press a button on the head and a flash of light will be emitted. This light will get converted into heat energy once it touches the skin. You may feel like a pinprick or a slight rubber band flick in the more affected areas, this is normal. The therapist will then move the treatment head to the adjacent area and repeat the procedure. This is done until all the affected area is covered.
The IPL energy will target the congested pores killing the bacteria and reducing inflammation. It will also affect the sebaceous glands slowing down the production of sebum. IPL treatments have also the additional benefit that will target any pigmentation or scarring you may have, improving the texture and tone of your skin.
If you are treating the face only the treatment should take about 15-20min. After the treatment, your face may be redder than normal but this should subside in a few hours. You can resume your normal activities right away. Mineral makeup can be worn right away.
How many IPL Acne treatments will I need?
In most cases 4 to 6 treatments spaced every 2 weeks are required. The treatment is most effective when combined with an appropriate at home skin care regime.
In some cases the therapist may recommend that you combine IPL treatments with facials and extractions to accelerate the results.
Post Treatment Care
- Avoid hot tubs, swimming pools and hot baths for 24-48 hours after treatment. Showers are OK
- Avoid excessive sweating for 24-48 hours after treatment. No saunas or vigorous exercising.
- Avoid irritants such as exfoliants, bleaching creams, glycolic acids for one week.
- A recommended gel, Aloe Vera, or cold compresses (not ice) may be useful if there is swelling or redness.
- Your skin may be fragile for 2-3 days after treatment. Use gentle cleansers and do not rub. Skin moisturiser can be used and mineral makeup.
- Avoid sun exposure to the treated area during the entire course of treatments. Use a zinc based sunscreen SPF30 even if the day is cloudy.
General Recommendations for Acne conditions.
- Don’t use alcohol based skin care products because they can cause the sebaceous glands to overreact and produce even more sebum.
- Don’t over exfoliate. Wash your face only twice a day morning and night. Use a tissue paper to absorb any excess oil on your skin.
- Don’t pick on your pimples or blackheads because you may spread the infection and also scar your skin. Remember: A therapist doing an extraction will apply even pressure to avoid scarring and will use sterile conditions to avoid spreading the bacteria. You, on the other hand, squeezing a pimple with your fingers will only achieve a worsening of the condition.
- It is important to use a daily skin care routine with the appropriate products that will balance your skin’s PH and remove dead cells and sebum blocking your pores.
Where to go from here
Your next step is to come for a free initial consultation. Here, the therapist will evaluate your condition and recommend the best plan of action. You are encouraged to ask any questions or concerns you may have.
The therapist may also do a test patch for you to familiarise with the treatment and to tune up the right IPL energy settings for your skin. All skins are different and finding what is right for you is important.
Skin Nexus is located in Glen Waverley, in Melbourne’s South East. We mainly serve the suburbs of Mount Waverley, Mulgrave, Wheelers Hill, Forest Hill, Vermont, Burwood, Clayton, Wantirna, Rowville, Oakleigh and Blackburn; however we have customers coming from many other areas of the city.
We are easily accessible from the Easter and South Easter freeways, exiting in Springvale Road; and there is plenty of free, all day parking, so you won’t have to watch the clock.
Thursdays and Fridays we are open till late for those that work 9 to 5. We also open on Saturdays.
*50% discount of regular prices. We’ll maintain these prices for up to 6 treatments if you book your first consultation before 31/8/17. Not valid in conjunction with any other discounts or offers.
Elos IPL Acne Treatment Prices – Men & Women
|Face & Neck|
|Face, Neck & Décolletage|